Monday, May 2, 2011

Food for thought on food.

For the most part, I eat healthy, but like mostly everyone I have my bad habits too. I’m putting my bad habits and downfalls out there so I can see them in black and white:
  • I don’t eat “junk” food often at all, but when I do, it’s the worst of the worst - McDonalds and ice cream and cookies and chips. My biggest problem with junk food is that I can’t eat just one cookie or a couple of spoons of ice cream…it’s  5 cookies, or a cereal bowl full of ice cream. I binge. It’s bad.
  • I love wine and beer. A lot. And I go through phases of having a couple of glasses of wine in a week, to a glass of wine a night, and sometimes, just on Friday and Saturday. I also thoroughly enjoy a pint whenever we’re at a pub (again, not often). I need to find a good balance for this area.
  • Unbalanced meals. I have a hard time getting enough veggies into my meals. It’s hard for me to get excited about eating vegetables, and I find I get bored easily. Feels like veggies are constantly on re-run. Broccoli, asparagus, grilled peppers, repeat. Clearly there are waaay more veggies out there, but I lack creativity and what to do with them exactly. Having just a bowl of pasta is much easier and tastier than adding a side of veggies.
  • Portion sizes. This goes along with the bit on junk food, but I don’t measure my meals at all, I usually eat until I’m full (or beyond full). Not good.
  • Mat. Sorry hunny… you’re not exactly a bad influence on my meal choices, but you certainly don’t advocate that we cook something healthy when we’re stuck for ideas. For the most part I try not to ask Mat what he feels like for dinner because his answers are usually one of the following: Pizza? Chicken fingers? Perogies? Hamburgers? Hot dogs? Breakfast? Take out? The problem with this is that all of his suggestions are tempting, and then it’s hard to get it out of my head, and anything else I try to come up with for dinner is nowhere near as delicious-sounding as his suggestions (Note to self: stop asking Mat if has any ideas for dinner).
  • Finally, probably my biggest downfall is that I barely exercise. It’s So. Hard. for me to drag myself out of bed in the mornings and workout. I’m committing to exercising regularly now, but a bit hesitant to put a label on how much. Should I? My current plan is to do something every week day whether it’s an exercise class, shred video, baseball or yoga.
Think that’s it. What’s the hardest part of eating healthy for you? Any tricks of the trade you care to share?

2 comments:

  1. Hi :)

    I did really well with Weight Watchers for a long time, now I'm using My Fitness Pal to count calories and it's working well for me. I still eat a treat everyday, if I don't I binge and it's not pretty, I have a major sweet tooth. So if I plan it into my day, it's all good.

    I also hate exercising but I try to do 30 minutes at least 4 times a week. It's baby steps, I would rather do anything else but I have at least 30 minutes a day, right? Right now my plan is to do it as soon as I get home and to get it over with. I love the Shred DVD.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Roz... you are a rock star for documenting this! Seriously... you probably have no idea how many people will be inspired by your posts to make changes (even if just small changes) to their lifestyles - including me.

    One the veggies front... have you tried the President Choice frozen veggies at all - I LOVE THEM. My fav right now is the Summer blend - they are so quick and easy, and HEALTHY! They also have little tips on the back on the package on how to change them up a bit - like adding a bit of feta or parm. cheese to them (for a treat!).

    Anyways... keep up the great posting!

    ReplyDelete